More About...

Monday 12 May 2008

Grün ist in!

So yesterday I picked up my Sunday paper from my mailbox... a small title on the bottom the page caught my eye...

I know it is hard to read here.. but the title says Grün ist in! and it goes on to tell how green Spargel (Asparagus) is becoming more popular than the traditional white Spargel around here. Shocking! To be honest... before I came here, I did not know that asparagus could be white! But over here in the Southern Black Forrest... Spargel is grown under coverings so that it stays white... and now.. they are saying that Green is in!... I wonder what that will do to the poor farmers who make white Spargel as their main crop...

To continue the green theme... I grew up eating green beans raw.. out of the garden... my favorite way to eat green beans actually! and last week, I was taking the ends of a few for lunch when one of my German friends (yes you dear Sabine) told me that she was raised not to eat them that way... because they are poisonous!

She went on to explain that over here, they are all taught that you must cook the beans for 10 minutes to get rid of the poisons! I was shocked! I have to say... I am grateful for Sabine's ways of pointing out where I am different. :-) she is very gracious. I just hope I have not offended my European friends by eating raw green beans. :-) Oh.. and momma.. I finally planted the ones you bought me. I am excited for them to come up!

So later that day, I washed my rugs in my flat... I have great Ikea rugs... two with great greens and blues and two with cream/red/black... I washed them all together.. with a white towel....

yes... now I have two green and blue rugs... one green towel... and two green/red/black rugs... the cream with dark brown rug in the photo is just for contrast... on the red rug... used to be that cream colour... Sigh....

But honestly... these greens reflect what I see outside! I am in awe at God's palette of colours each season. and right now in this area... the green is everywhere!

5 comments:

  1. I think the poison thing is an Old Fraeuline's Tale!

    OK OK OK!!!! You earned a link on my blog!! Actually I've left the link area pretty undeveloped as I keep developing other parts of the blog, but I'll flesh it out more soon. In the meantime you're up in lights! And I see a few people ahve already clicked you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, Many Americans would not eat the beans cooked OR raw! But you don't have to tell that!
    HUGS! You have a head start on planting your beans...but my pea pods are finally up 7-13". Very late doing anything this year. I heard that Mt St Helen's has 20-25ft of snow! They had to dig out the visitor's center and just got the road cleared! Last weekend, Mt Hood Ski areas allowed FREE Skiing because they had so much snow this year and made so much money they let it go free last weekend! SO...my garden is late.
    But, the Raspberry's are starting to BLOOM LIKE CRAZY! MIGHT be some for you when you get here! :-)MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now You're my kind of girl-you eat asparagus! Awesome. That's one vegetable my kids NEVER developed a taste for. (oh well, more for me) As for the green-isn't it wonderful. I think I appreciate it more because it was such a long cold dreary winter. Welcome Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mel, just a quick note to day Happy Birthday friend! Can't wait to see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, i just stumbled upon your blog today via facebook and started reading about the green beans and was absolutely FLOORed to hear that people other than in East Asia have this "raw green beans are poisonous" complex!!! However, people in our province also think that if you cook them for too long you'll die so not a single restaurant in our 4 million people city sells green beans. It's terrible. So glad to know that other people in the world are also terribly mistaken!

    ReplyDelete