More About...

Sunday 24 November 2013

Thanksgiving and Advent

I am super excited for next Sunday when we begin the Advent Season....

...maybe this is because I have lived outside of the USA for so long, but Thanksgiving is not as big to me as the Advent Season.

Oh I am thankful for the religious freedom that the pilgrims endured hardship to achieve. I am thankful for the harvest times and the food that we can marvel at God's creation of. I am thankful for a holiday to get time with busy friends and family. I like Thanksgiving and being able to honor it in America again...

But the Advent Season is coming!!!!

A season that points us to the reason we can have eternal life.
A season that prepares us to spend time rejoicing over the birth of our Lord
A season that gives foundation and meaning to an otherwise commercialized time of year.

I love pausing each Sunday and reading what the current advent candle represents.
I love watching the light of the Advent wreath increase each week
This was last year's advent wreath set up.

Even living alone, I enjoyed taking time to light the Advent candle, spending some time with the Lord and thinking about how I am approaching the season.

reFresh will be sending out Advent reflections and I am so looking forward to this. I will share more on this later.

anyway.. Happy Thanksgiving and I pray you are able to prepare for Christmas without the chaotic rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment