More About...

Thursday 10 May 2018

Health: Spiritual, Mental and Physical

I am continually struck by how God calls us to be Healthy
 Spiritually, Mentally and Physically.

We are not to neglect the body for the mind or the spirit for the body or any other combination.

In my 40 plus years of life, I have neglected one for the other often. 
I can hear myself saying: 
I only have 2 hours, I will sit with Jesus and not go work out. 
OR... 
I need to get fit, I am sure Jesus understands. 
OR... 
I don't have time to meet with a counselor or a spiritual director, I need to work out my body. 

Any number of these ways of thinking puts me at an overall disadvantage. 

On my journey to be healthy, I have been through depression, burnout, lack of finances, and lack of available time. I have used all of these as excuses to not care of some part of my health.

I did not know how much better my mental and spiritual health would be when my physical health was good... until recently. They all work together. When I am physically healthy, I am more mentally healthy. and when I am mentally healthy, I am more spiritually healthy. 

I remember hearing a man who loves God say, "I want to be in the best physical shape I can be so I have no excuses if God calls me to do something." That stuck with me. 

Our bodies are a temple for the Holy Spirit and yet we often leave the temple in shambles. 

I am on a journey to be in the best spiritual, mental and physical shape I can be. 

Will you join me? 



No comments:

Post a Comment