More About...

Thursday 11 October 2007

Festivals

The Fall here in the Kandern Area is a time of rejoicing over the harvest that has come. I have been privileged to go to a couple fests in the area and I will share some of my favorite photos here with you. this first video is part of the Auggen Parade. It was unarguably the most fun I have had to date at a "cultural event". The hands you see clapping along... belong to a man who seemed to know everyone in the parade. He was great! And his wife was precious too.


so... here are some photos from the Auggen Parade....
I remember pictures like this in my books when I was young... it was great to see that it is real! :-)
the dance group that nicely skirted the dirty patch in the road... but look at the woman keeping the little ones away from the offending pile. :-)
Each region that was represented had a different traditional costume... I liked the BIG bows from this region... I wish I could recall which region it was... :-)
Flag girls... and boys. :-)
blowing a horn is hard work!

And here is the festival from Muenstertal where we saw the cows coming home...
They come down the hill... following the band...
The cows are decked in flowers... not sure if they are happy about that or not....
This cow... is saying something....
Then the alpenhorns played a song... it really great to hear and see this live! although.. the modern cars and ambulance in the background felt kind of strange.
and this girl was just too cute not to put her in my blog.

I am getting settled in... I have a working oven and hot water in my kitchen... Photos coming soon!

5 comments:

  1. I love cows!! Childhood memories. My grandparents had cows on the farm. I even love the smell of cows. I told Kasie that the other day. I think she thought I was crazy. I probably am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Fun! Ya! Ya! We like the parades! Is the video in front of the flats where the Mays lived? It seemed to be the PARADE ROUTE for that late night parade! Take Care,
    Enjoy your kitchen and your new flat!
    Love ya a lot! Mom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics Mel! Looks like the parade/festival was lots of fun! I'm thinking a trip to Germany one day is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you live in the coolest place!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures. I really enjoyed watching the parade video. How fun!

    I'm thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete