More About...

Friday 10 December 2010

Applying for my Italian visa


Last Friday I drove my car from Kandern, Germany to Rome, Italy. this was the moon the morning I left Kandern.
In my car were 3 suitcases, 7 houseplants, 2 paintings (1 from spain, one from a great aunt) and some other breakables. Also in the passenger seat was my dear friend Shelly Gilmore. That was a blessing!  We had a 12+ hours drive that day. 

Then I came back to the states on Monday because I needed to apply for my Italian visa in San Francisco. So, I landed in Portland, Oregon on Monday night after about 18 hours of flying. 

Wednesday morning I began the drive down to Central California. I thank God for the ministry partners who lent me a vehicle to make this trip. That was a good 10+hour drive. Through snow, rain, sun, fog, I saw three rainbows, crossed multiple rivers (The Sacramento river 3 times), and traversed the highest point on I-5.  

I arrived at the home of my dear friend Cheryl and her husband Matt that evening. Jet-lag and drive-lag set in.. but I was so thankful to be with a dear friend. 
Thursday morning I said goodbye to Cheryl and Matt. And drove to the home of Lina Hughes, the amazing attorney who worked on my visa application. Once there we went over the application and I realized that I left my Oregon ID card in a box at my mom's house in Portland. Oops...Well, the copy was in the file so we decided to try anyway to apply.

We drove the hour and half from her house into downtown San Francisco and had great conversations on the way. You know how sometimes you just connect with someone? I am so thankful to God for Lina! We found parking in a 30 min meter parking spot... walked across to a french style cafe and had lunch.. Lina went and fed the meter 1/2 way through lunch. I had creamy mushroom soup and we split a delicious lemon tart.

Then it was on to the consulate...The line was already forming… I could guess why each person was seeking an Italian visa. Some people seemed nervous while others seemed cocky. We all lined up alongside the building.. in front of three motor cycles. After a moment a woman from inside the consulate came out to tell us that we needed to make sure we had a money order for the fee and our driver's license and passports to show them. 

hmmm... my German driver's license is not needed here. And my Oregon ID card is in Oregon. Also...I had cash not a money order because on their website it stated that cash is accepted. I would be lying if I said that slight panic did not set in. :-)

We were finally allowed inside the consulate and as is typical in America we eventually were all talking with each other. What are you going to Italy for? Where is the nearest place to get a money order? You have tried how many times to get the visa? 

We were about 5th in line. And as the people in front of me went one by one up to the counter and were turned away, I got more nervous. Over and over people were asking to get an extension of the 90 day maximum you can (as an American) be in Schengen countries. Marco (working at the counter) kept having to tell people "there is nothing I can do to change this for you." 

My turn... I walk up and smile at Marco. And as I hand him the packet that Lina has put together, she explains that she is the attorney representing the organization that is sending me to Italy. Marco is more than impressed by the packet she has put together. We joke back and forth a bit. He enters info into the computer, tells me that it will be ready in 10 days and they would send it to me. I say grazie and arrivederci we smile and leave the consulate. WHAT? No issues?! No need for me to show my original ID card?! No missing forms?! A smile?! Friendly banter?!   AMAZING!!!

The live tree in Union Square San Francisco.
I think it went so smoothly because of Lina's amazing preparations. She said it was my blue eyes. Can we call it a good partnership?! :-)

Today I begin the drive back to Oregon via the homes of some dear ministry partners. I am just in awe of God. Time with good friends, new friends, favour with the consulate, oh... and I got to see my brother Michael in San Francisco because he was visiting there too. God is good!

1 comment: