More About...

Wednesday 2 November 2005

Musings...

Have you ever sat in a meeting with headphones on so you could hear the translation of the speaking in your own language? I did last night. I went to a Willow Creek type church in a nearby town. One of the men I went with was the English translator for the evening and all of us who did not speak German sat in the back row with headphones on so we could hear the translation. It was a strange feeling. But I really enjoyed the church service. They apparently have a seeker-friendly service on Sundays and church "members" service on Thursday nights. It brought up a brief discussion on the idea of seeker-services...

After the service we all went to Switzerland for some Starbucks coffee. It was nice to go to a big city and sit outside with new friends and drink coffee. The man translating in the service is Christian... and he is a Christian. He is German, married an amazing French woman and they have three children. He is working with Athletes in Action to work with the World Cup outreach that is being planned. ANYWAY....all that to say... he is good friends with a guy who works with my brother Matt and when he is in Portland, he goes to the church where my friend Jeremy is the worship leader. My world is getting smaller by the minute.

And I know that you all want photos of my place... but I don't have my container yet.. so I don't have it all put together. :-) so you have to wait... I am so sorry. :-)

6 comments:

  1. but if you sent pictures now it could be like "A Makeover Story" when we see your place in the future. You really aren't going to send any pictures until it's perfect?
    OY Vey!
    It's a rainy blustery day outside, hope you're having a crisp beautiful fall day. Switzerland for coffee... sounds pretty uppity, can you order in english?

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to hear from you Melissa...yes it is raining here and snowing...in the mountains. All those ski-lovers are really excited....I love to look at snow from afar!! How is you place??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment Melissa... that church that you went to sounds interesting. What kind of stuff did they talk about? As always, you're in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you get your box let me know...I'll come help you set up your kitchen! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guten Tag Melissa!
    Wie geht es dir? Ich habe so viel Deutch vergessen aber Ich kann ein bischen. I am glad to hear you are doing well. I am in Africa right now with the Arensens. I hope I can visit you sometime there and use my German again. BUT more than that to see you, the Holladays The Huisjens there in Deutschland. Ich vermisse alles. Tchus- Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. i do remember a church service in LT where it was being preached by a German and translated up front into Lithuanian. Then our little group was getting translation into English - with no headphones....headphones are a really slick idea :)
    love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete