More About...

Thursday 30 March 2006

I think a lot...

So, it seems to me that I am thinking and processing a lot in my life. I process why people act how they act. I think about what makes things work like they work. I process the miracles of communication and how communication can be the key to unlocking so many relationships. I think about my friends, from long ago and from more recently. I process how they have shaped and will continue to shape my life.

My dear friend Sharon told me recently that she was thinking about how knowing the little things about a person is what keeps you connected to that person. She is so wise and so insightful! These are the things I miss about people from the states. Did you get a new car? Is that a new hair style? Did you join a new study group? Did God show you some new way to glorify Him in a situation?

And those are the things that I miss people knowing about me: I found these really cool earrings in Florence. I hate flying insects like moths and beetles... yet I have had an infestation of little flying beetles in my flat recently. I love going to a movie when I am stateside... but here the cost is outrageous so I watch the dvds that I brought over instead... and for me... who rarely likes to read a book or watch a movie twice.. this has been challenging. I got to sit in the sun for lunch on Monday and then walk in the rain Monday night.

Tuesday night I got to go to a wine tasting. It was an incredible experience and I learned SO much. Did you know that red wine is made red from the little pockets of color that are in the skin? The juice is white! :-) Here we are learning about the oak barrels. This is the team I work with.

When I was younger, a missionary came to my church and I do not remember the deep spiritual insights that she shared, but I do remember that someone would send her a weekly letter about what people wore to church that Sunday, what the weather was like, who got engaged, who had a baby, who moved, etc... That impacted me.

I think that is why I like to blog... it gives me the chance to share normal life here. And that is why I love to read other blogs.. they give me a glimpse into normal life somewhere else. Tabitha does a great job and so does Sean in their blogs. .. just normal life.

Well, that is all for now, just wanted to say what was on my mind... well some of it... don't want to overwhelm anyone. :-)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa...this was a fun post! I love the story about the missionary and the weekly letter...I love that you found cool earrings in Florence. It's true, it's so nice to stay connected through the little things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, I'm a celebrity now. I've been mentioned on Melissa's blog! I have moved up in the world. Girl, you do think a lot but thats what I love about ya. Keep on thinkin and sharing, it helps us stay connected to your world too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree... Seans blog is pretty sweet. He's a pretty sharp guy, that Sean.. hehe... Hey in all seriousness, thanks for the support, Melissa... You always seem to show up with that little bit of encouragement right when people need it. Thanks for all your sharing. I'm prayin' for ya.
    God Bless...

    --Sean...um.... I mean, some random guy who really likes Seans blog. Hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's indescribable how neat it is to be able to stay connected to people on the other side of the planet! Even those in the room next to mine. I really can't put a finger on it. You're totaly right. There's something about knowing the little things.

    Seans blog is okay, I guess. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm so glad i got to visit you so i can know a bit more of what your "everyday" is like. here's something from my everyday that i'm experiencing at this very moment: twice a day at around 10am and around 3pm we have tea break at World Relief. i sit upstairs in my office and wait to hear the clinking of the spoons and cups downstairs. i hear them now so off to chai i go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So...I'm glad you share your "everyday stuff" cause you know that is what connects me to you! I'd rather share mine on email so it is not so public! OK?
    Besides, going to PT appointments and Chiropractors and Massage appts is not too inspiring! Barney sends a BIG KISS! He is missing Tiana this week while she is away! This morning, the SUN was out and we are supposed to go back to rain tonight, but for today, WE CAN SING IN THE SUNSHINE!
    Altogether now....
    Oh yeah, Abby and Tarri say HI!
    EVERYONE wants to know how Melissa is doing! So I'm glad you tell me tidbits to share...at least they stay connected in their minds! Not everyone is into BLOGS, ya know! Some of us are a little out of the loop! :-) Gma and Gpa said HI to you this morning! HUGS and KISSES XOXOXOXO :-) MOM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I've been smiling so big lately, you could probably see it from Germany...

    What wines did you taste? I actually did know about the redness of wines coming from the skins. Did you realize that White Zinfendel, which is obviously pink, is that color because the Zinfendel grape is a really dark color, and even though they try to treat it like a white wine by taking the skins out pretty quickly in the process, it still dyes the wine significantly. Of course, there's probably no white zin over there, it's the soda pop of wines...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa you are such a delight to hear from! I like to think alot too - sometimes it is more of a curse than a blessing, but I just keep learning to use it the right way - the way God intended. I love hearing your blogs - you've almost inspired me to join the world of bloggers, but limited computer access...
    So - I got a new car - it's a teel green toyota tercel (2 dr). It was really a nice provision from the Lord, considering my other car completely died and had to be towed. No new hair style, but I'll be getting it trimmed (it's long now, about to my shoulder blades). I'm in a couples bible study (who'd a thought Jamie K would ever be in a couples group?!)and the Lord is just constantly reminding me to glorify him in the little things, the things that nobody else sees, the decisions that nobody else hears me make. What a pleasant experience knowing that he cares about these details! I'm working at the Church, and yesterday was the first lawn-mowing of spring. Pat's car was getting fixed, so he came to work with me and helped me with weeding and moving trees all day. Oh, and I don't like moths either. I love you, friend, and hope that everything is going fabulous for you! You are in my prayers. Love and hugs...

    ReplyDelete