More About...

Tuesday 3 October 2006

Created to be loved

So I shipped a lot of books to Germany when I moved here... 1 year ago. Yes folks. 1 year ago today I got on a plane at some crazy morning hour and moved to Germany. And that means that 1 year ago tomorrow I arrived in Germany.

Anyway, I shipped over books. Books I have read many times and books I had not yet read. Living alone has given me time to read some of the books that I had not read. One I recently picked up was Don Miller's book "Searching for God Knows What".

Now, I like Don and feel privileged to have hung out with him in the past so that when I read his books it truly does feel like it is a conversation. He writes as if he is just in a conversation with you. I love it!

So, last night, I was reading in this book and came across this: "God wired us so that He told us who we were, and outside that relationship, the relationship that said we were loved and valuable and beautiful, we didn't have any worth at all." Pg 107.

Can you wrap your mind around that sentence? I can. And it makes a lot of sense to me. When I let other people or circumstances define who I am, I feel empty and undervalued. When I let God define who I am, I feel loved, valuable and beautiful. Now, this is not a new concept...but it is profound truth that I have a hard time remembering.

So last night after reading that and writing it down. I know I had this goofy grin on my face. How amazing is that???? I, Melissa Rennae Wright, am loved completely by God. He created me so that I am most at rest and most joyful when I let Him define me. And there is so much freedom in that definition. Truly AMAZIING!

So thanks to Don for pointing us to this truth that is all throughout the Bible.

Hi Diane. :-) you commented on Jen and Peter's site... should I be offended that you don't post on mine? :-)

8 comments:

  1. crazy! i read that last night too. i wanted something to read before going to sleep, and just picked that book up and read out of that chapter. good word, mel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, is that suppose to have any connectiong to what it means to live deeply? You didn't allude to it directly, but I could see the connections. I haven't read that book by Don, I read his latest he authored along with John. I enjoyed his honesty.
    Sorry, I missed you the other night. I wished I would have had a chance to say hi. I was even up late. For some reason I haven't been able to sleep.
    Maybe, I will be here when you get back. Maybe, we should plan to connect before then!
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm... thanks melissa. Good reminder. I feel hollow without him, and so brimming over when I remember that he has saved me and lavished his grace on me... wow! Now that's worth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey buddy - I'm going to get that book today as soooooo many people talk about it and I keep saying "yes, I must read that one...." Glad to see your journey continues. keep being an inspiration to us singles out there who are serving overseas! Love ya Sis!
    Deirdre

    ReplyDelete
  5. One year! That's a pretty big milestone. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Thanks for writing such encouraging things! You are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Melissa! I needed to hear that this week. Oh and hello from Chicago...I'm celebrating just over a year here too. Blessings on your year to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep you should be offended :)
    Diane

    ReplyDelete