More About...

Thursday 5 April 2007

hmmmm....

So… I had an interesting run in with a 52 year old man on Wednesday. Many of you know that I frequently have rather interesting interactions with men on my travels., I blogged about it back in August 2006. For all of you who are wondering about my relationship status… still single. :-) These men are usually much older (this case in point) or about 5 years old or…they don’t love Jesus and there was the French man who simply thought he had found a nice girl in me. It all makes for some funny stories and somewhat fond memories.

So, to the current situation, I was in a local Gresham coffee shop this past Wednesday. (no surprise there, I know) But I was waiting for my drink to be made… I branched out and got some latte with caramel, hazelnut and vanilla… too sweet! But I digress...

I was waiting for the drink and I was twiddling my thumbs. A man walked by and asked if I could twiddle them backwards. To which I responded “yes” and proceeded to show him. I also felt the need (not sure why) to go on and tell him that I also spell words backwords in my head. Did you all need to know that random fact? :-)

Well he asked me if I knew what the longest word in the English language is… Um… no… I don’t. I felt like I should know it… So he said he would tell me after he went out to smoke his cigarette. Lucky me.

He did tell me when he came back in… some computer word I could never remember if I tried. I asked if it really was just one word because I am learning German and many of the really long words are actually several words stuck together! He then asked, “Sprechen Sie Deutsch?” “yes, I replied in German, I speak a bit” At that he began to tell me much of his life story including the fact that he is fluent in Hebrew—and Yiddish (combo of German and Hebrew), was up visiting his daughter and grandson and could I believe his good luck in finding a pretty girl with red hair and blue eyes to talk to?! "especially red hair" Honestly... is my hair that red? Sheesh. And by the time I extracted myself from that semi uncomfortable situation, he had given me three ways to contact him. Don’t worry… I have not intention of contacting him. Praying for his salvation.. yes. But contacting him… no.

This makes me wonder… do redheads have more fun? :-) whatever. What I do know… is sometimes my natural bent toward being friendly to people around me, gets me into situations that seem a bit over my head. I am sure thankful that the Lord is my protector. I was not in any physical danger with this man, but it did make me think.

5 comments:

  1. hi there from teh German :) I used to be a red head for several years and people actually think that taht is my real color :) yeah red heads have more fun LOL! Actually I totally know what you mean with this blog entry- I have that happen a lot , too and I know that guy from Cafe D, too :))
    Have a blast in my Home country!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa! You crack me up. Yes, I have heard that redheads have more fun - but in your case, I truly think it's just YOU! God blesses those with pure hearts, and you do have all kinds of amazing run-ins. Thanks for sharing your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think redhead do have more fun.. We are all fun to be around... Ok.. My redhead is fake (somewhat). LOL. Have a great day... Talk to you soon...

    Ames (Oregon)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA!!! I fully enjoyed reading this! you're funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm laughing!!!! Bonnie and I often swap stories like this, but they're never quite as fun... definitely must be the "red" hair. Love you girl! Thanks for sharing! Sorry it's been awhile...

    ReplyDelete