More About...

Tuesday 24 April 2007

traveling adventures...

Do I ever travel without incident? I am beginning to think that every time I travel, there will be a story to share. This time it was not a huge story, all the men I met were rather normal and my luggage made it with me... which was a miracle, I think.

I am in Kandern Germany for a couple weeks. I am so glad to be here. My heart is happy to be here. Getting here was interesting... I was delayed in the Washington Dulles airport for 6 hours...I walked past the rainbow lighted glass block wall which the Lithuania team of summer 2001 stood in front of for a photo...ahh the memories. I chatted with several interesting people. The man who was sitting next to me on the plane is a Christian and it was so great to hear about he and his wife and their family and we talked about the Lord a lot. It was very encouraging. The funny thing was that I thought he was an engineer of some sort when I sat down. (he was not nerdy looking... just looked like the engineer type) Well, he is an engineer and he thought it was so funny that I had guessed correctly that he called his wife and told her. fun times.

While I was in Dulles, I emailed Deb to let her know that I would probably be late so she should be aware of that in coming to pick me up at the airport. Well, I got into Frankfurt, and moved from line to line to line trying to procure a new boarding pass for my new flight and did not have time to do anything else than notice that my cell phone does not work over here... Guess I forgot to arrange that with Tmobile. I made it to the gate and got on the plane. When I arrived in Basel, I tried to use the pay phones to no avail... and thought.. well... I hope Deb is out there... and I hope she did not wait too long. And the whole time I am thinking about how much everyone in Kandern knows how responsible I am and how I am sure that they are each asking each other if I have contacted them.

On Deb's side, her email was not working, so she did not receive my email and had to wait for a long time at the airport for when I should have been arriving. Later she called and found out that I was registered for the later flight but was not confirmed... Everyone in Kandern was asking if anyone had heard from me and talking about how unlike me it was to leave them all clueless... Sigh... ´But... the good news, Deb came to the airport anyway for my later flight and she was there when I walked out! I bet the relief on my face was very obvious!

So, this morning, my first morning in Kandern, I got in a minor car accident. Sigh...what a way to begin. I am fine, but it is rather interesting to go through that process in another country.

But, I am here for 2 weeks and then I return to the States to find the remaining people to join with me in ministry. Do you know anyone who wants to join my team?

5 comments:

  1. hi, mel! just wanted you to know that i'm thinking about you, and looking forward to seeing you when you're back in Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you to find the rest of the supporters that God has in store for you in your desire to follow him. I've missed your smiling face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Mel. We are glad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what's going on in europe??

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi melissa, i came across your blog through the good shepherd website, i was looking up the holladays, because someone from church mentioned that they had an arts program in germany. i am interested because i am an artist and want to start doing some ministry with it, are you looking for more team members to go back to kandern? my wife (breanna strebin) and i want to at least visit them to see what they are doing. please email usback at estebanconnaught@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete