More About...

Sunday 7 September 2008

Ethiopia


So tomorrow morning I get up at 3:30 am to begin my journey to Ethiopia. I will be returning home on the 20th of September.

Why am I going?
Because I am part of a leadership team that is helping to prepare the next generation of leaders for Agape Europe. We call the 2.5 year program, Next Generation Leader Development.. or NG for short. 20 participants from all over Western Europe are gathering to begin this program together in Ethiopia. We (participants and leadership team and guest speakers) will be out of our normal elements to learn about community, leadership, serving, shepherding, stewarding. We will be praying a lot, building houses, discussing and learning.

Many of you know that I respond involuntarily with tears and a deep heart connection to some key events... 1 being when someone comes to know the Lord as their saviour and the other being when I hear stories, see photos or see video footage of people who are desolate. Many of my dear friends have spent time in Sudan and Burundi and their stories choke me up every time. I know that my instant reaction to a story is empathy. It is not hard for me to imagine the way a person feels.

I know that where we are going we will be around many Christians. I know we will see and be among extreme poverty. I know I cannot walk away unaffected.

And there is much unknown about this trip.. but the one main thing that I know.. beyond a shadow of a doubt.. is that God knows! And in that I want to rest.

Pray for me?

3 comments:

  1. Will do! Come away changed? No doubt.

    We all respond differently to such places, but we ALL respond. I never shed big crocodile tears in Sudan (I know, you're shocked...) but 4 trips profoundly, and I believe permanently, changed me.

    I look forward to hearing the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always praying for you Melissa!! that's so amazing you get to travel to Ethiopia! i personally can't imagine seeing things like poverty let alone extreme poverty etc. im thankful you are a willing vessel that God uses in each of your journies throughout the world. im happy im blessed to call you a dear friend of mine. May God shine always through you!! Love always-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, I'm praying for you. Wish I could be there with you. I was there as a child. Some day...I will go back to Africa. When I read Trina's stuff, I can smell Africa. I'll pray that you have an amazing time connecting with people as you always do.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete