More About...

Tuesday 30 September 2008

A near death experience anyone?


Enjoying a cappuccino in Florence Italy this weekend.

I was reading in Romans this weekend and came across chapter 6 verse 13. "Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness"

"as those who have been brought from death to life" I know people who have had "near death" experiences. Those people view life differently after that experience. They appreciate their life more. They value everything around them, all their experiences and relationships, more than before their life flashed before their eyes. They tend to live more intentionally and with more purpose.

It is like they were given a whole new chance to live a whole new life!

And that is what God has done for us! Given us a whole new life! I sat there reading in Romans and marveling again at the amazing gift of life that God has given to me.

I suppose that those who have had near death experiences can more fully understand the sheer awesomeness of this gift and how such an experience changes your life. But since I was saved from eternal death to eternal life it dramatically changes my life.

I should live every day, every moment, through the eyes of one who had a near death experience and lived to not only talk about it... but to live more alive and with more purpose.

Anyway, I was just struck again with the awesome magnitude of what God has done for us and I wanted to share.

And here is a photo from Ethiopia... I hope to write more about that soon.

3 comments:

  1. i love that picture of you with that little beautiful child.
    we just started the book of Romans in Women's Bible study, & im so looking forward in digging in to soak the goodness of the Lord in that book. it's just mind blowing how God does indeed inrich those lives who have near death experiences. i haven't personally ever physically died but i have died many times via emotionally.. if that is such a thing. im happy to continue to see God work in your life my friend. much love always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reflections, Melis!So true...Miss you, my friend...Allison BTW Love your green scarf!! It looks stunning on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melissa!! It's been a while since I have checked on your blog and I figured it was way past time to do so so now I am catching up. I do like the part in Rom. 6:13 where it says we can be 'instruments of righteousness'. I guess I like it because I can play three instruments (four including my voice). You look like you are enjoying yourself in Florence. Hope you shine His light to the women you will work with soon. I love the pics on your blog from the last couple months as I have been catching up with you!

    ReplyDelete