More About...

Sunday 4 June 2006

FIFA World Cup

so... you may wonder why I have the World Cup as my title on this posting. No, I do not get to go to a game... even though the whole thing is in Germany. Instead, I am priviliged to help out a part of Campus Crusade called Atheletes in Action as they do an outreach this summer using the FIFA World Cup as a platform. The people with AIA Europe have become some of my dearest friends during my time here in Kandern. I am ecstatic to help them with this project.

I am going to their opening conference and debriefing conference this month to help out however needed... putting up signs, decorating for banquets, leading worship. I found myself wondering how God could use me to help this sports ministry.. since I am not a very sporty person... but I find that God is reminding me that wherever He puts me, He will use me. :-) Good to know.

And...guess who is leading worship for their opening conference.. my old friend Jeremy Thom. I love worshiping the Lord when Jeremy is leading. God has really gifted him to draw others into worship. I am sad that his lovely wife Kristina could not come, but they do have two children now and I can see how that would be difficult. It will be good to see Jeremy.

I am also excited to hear how God uses this project to draw people to Himself. 5 soccer teams from all over the world are coming to do outreach which will entail partnering with churches in Germany to help the churches reach their communities through soccer games, testimonies and in some places big screen viewing options of the games. Germany is getting more and more crazy as the games approach. :-) Excitement is in the air!

3 comments:

  1. That's so awesome! What a great way to get involved and have contact with people who may otherwise never have contact with the gospel! I bet you will have a blast. I'll be praying for energy and stamina for you - sounds like while it will be fun, you'll be busy! The world cup (or whatever it is) for rugby was going on when I was in India and NZ - it was crazy! I can only imagine what it would be like for "football!" Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, that is just too cool! What an awesome ministry opportunity Melissa. I just love how the Lord surprises us with fun little things like having a friend, and not just any friend, but an old, long time friend working that same event. Too bad you can't see the whole fam. though. But still, what a huge blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we should have sent a short term team over there to 'help' you. Don't you agree? ;)

    But seriously. That's an awsome ministry. I've been trying to figure out how to apply my faith to my life in sports for some time. It can be a big challenge sometimes.

    ReplyDelete