More About...

Saturday 6 June 2009

stuff and nonsense

it is the little things that bring me delight... My friend Amy is here and she has known me since 1995 when we were roommates at Northwestern College in Orange City Iowa.... seems like ages ago, but what a blessing to have her here!

She keeps remarking on how easy it is to make me laugh... we were on a plane to Rome and they were showing a Mr. Bean cartoon... I was cracking up! and she was laughing at me. I had another friend tell me recently that I am funny because I think everyone else is so funny.

Honestly though... life is full of funny moments. God made us all so different! We each approach life in different ways based on our experiences and our personalities. The encounters we have with each other can be really really humorous!

Ever notice that every child... no matter what country they come from... can pout if they don't like what is happening? they all master it! incredible!

We are all hilarious when we try to imitate an accent or dialect that is not our own. Admit it... you northern American's have tried at least once to pull off a British accent...

Have you ever watched a group of high school aged girls when they are around high school aged boys? or have you watched the boys? and does that behavior change as we get older?

I was struck recently, as I was watching people in a city, that every morning we each get ready for the day...and generally... when we leave our living place, we think we look good enough to enter the day... but what we think is good... is sometimes down right hilarious!

And what about the intensity with which we can argue a topic that really does not make a difference for eternity? Does it really matter if one person leads differently than we think they should? Does it really matter if one person squeezes the toothpaste from the end instead of from the middle?

The last time I laughed so hard I cried... was a couple of weeks ago when my friends were putting on their "back woods" accents... One friend made the statement that his grandma said she would slap him into next week if he ever made a girl cry.... skip a few beats... other topics covered... then he said, thoughtfully... "i missed a birthday one year".

The Proverbs 31 woman laughs at what is to come. in Psalm 126: 2 and 3 laughter and joy are tied to the Lord having done great things!

i guess that is why i laugh so much. i am truly delighted by what the Lord has done. and I believe that joy, true joy is from having my hope for eternity in the Lord. And if my hope for eternity is in the Lord, than i can laugh at the funny things of the world.

Do you laugh enough? what do you find delight and joy in? Do you see it enough?

Amy just asked me what I want to do for lunch... i replied... "eat" .. she said.. rather sarcastically... you are SO funny!

hmmm...

4 comments:

  1. I laugh and cry, both are great outlets of emotion. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. and being REAL means SHARING and SHOWING emotions. That is one of your great connections, my dear daughter! I Love You! MOM :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "stuff and nonsense" .. isn't this what Marilla Cuthbert says in Anne of Green Gables?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your unique perspective as you travel the world is fun to look into. Miss you....maybe we can visit while you are in the states?

    ReplyDelete