More About...

Tuesday 2 February 2010

What's in a name?

One of the things going around on Facebook these days... is to go to urbandictionary.com and type in your name to see what it comes up with .   I did this.. as if I really have time to do this.. 
 
Melissa is a Greek name.
In Greek, it means "honey bee."
In Persian, it means "red rose."
The feminine version of "Melisseus", legendary "King of Crete."
In mythology, it is the name of a princess of Crete who was changed into a bee after she learned to collect honey.
Melissa is a princess name.
 
When I was growing up, my mom told me that my name means "honey bee" and that it is Greek. She told me I had a choice..... to be sweet like honey or to sting like a bee.  The part about being a Princess of Crete who was changed into a bee after learning to collect honey... that is not something I ever knew. :-)  
 
Two years ago in May, I was privileged to be in Greece. And you know what?! There is a town that is named Melissa. Crazy.   

And for most of you... I run across your name on street signs or city signs or company signs. I often see a sign and think.. "oh... so my friend "______________"'s name is German, or Finnish, or French... or... :-) 

ah and the second and third meanings of the name Melissa on urbandictionary.com... 
2. Hottest girl in the known universe
3. a girl, who takes life as it comes,has relationship issues and falls in love easily.
 
random...

No comments:

Post a Comment