More About...

Wednesday 5 October 2005

I have arrived...

So, you want the story? :-)

Keep in mind, I started with one hour of sleep under my belt.

I got to the Portland airport and after 1/2 hour in line I got up to the ticket counter. Guy-yes that is his name. Guy was the agent helping me. So, Guy helped me pay the money for 1 over weight bag. And then Guy informed me that in order to fly into Switzerland, I have to have a visa or a return ticket...of which I had neither.

After about 20 minutes of discussion over this point, Guy called the Swiss embassy and they told him I was fine to go as I was... no visa needed. Praise the Lord!!!

Then, because I had a one-way ticket, I was flagged for all the extra security screening you could possibly imagine. Do you find that when you have packed a bag the most carefully that then they have to take it all apart for screening? I do. :-) But the great thing... the screener doing the wanding on me, asked me why I was moving to Germany. When I told her, she got a big smile on her face and began to remind me that God is watching me, that He knows what I need-so it doesn't matter if I think I have forgotten something important, and that the Holy Spirit is reminding people to pray for me.

Wow... that was amazing. A huge blessing! God is good.

Then, I sat next to the granddaughter of the man who started Boyd's coffee. That was fun.

Then in Atlanta I made it to my flight just in time time to hear my section being called for boarding. Whew.... I sat next to a guy on that flight who was going to India for 3 months. He is a medical software programmer.

Okay, so I get to Paris... I am in the second to last row on the plane and I have 1/2 hour from landing to boarding my next flight... yeah... I missed the flight.

So, I am put on the next flight out, 3 hours later. no problem... and the airline gave me a voucher for a meal. I had a french bagette with mozarella and tomato and some tea. Lovely.

But, guess what? October 4th... was a nation worker strike day for the air traffic controllers. So my 1p.m. flight was pushed back to 3p.m. ... and then at 1:30 p.m. they boarded us and we left at 2p.m. I slept most of that 1 hour flight.

I arrived in Basel, Switzerland.... no baggage. Poor air france staff... they had a lot of irate people to deal with. The guy taking my info, said that he had 200 people without luggage that day. So I was really nice to him and he gave me the nicest overnight bag I have ever seen. Someone later told me it is the kind they give to first class travelers. He told me he was giving it to me because I was so nice. hmmm... a kind answer turns away wrath.

So, that is the story. I got to the Holladays. I love them! and I got a shower, ate some amazing soup and was in bed by 5:30p.m. I slept until 6a.m. :-)

10 comments:

  1. Wow...we were wondering about that Paris connection. But glad you are there...traveling has its ups and down and make for good stories down the road. Say hi to the Holladays. Love you and pray for you...you are "home"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. guten tag, fraulein! glad you made it, girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you made it safe and sound, and that you found some rest. I'm thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you get your luggage yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad to me to see the post from Rakel that says you are "home", I know it's true but it's still sad for us. Missing you. Thanks for post so we know you're there. Praise the Lord for all the little blessings, I wonder how many people that gal in the airport gets to encourage as they go into service for the King. Hmm, you never know. Keep in touch friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you arrived in one piece eventhough your luggage went to ???? :-) Ask Meredith to bake you a pie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't BELIEVE you're there!! It always amazes me what a short amount of time it takes to find oneself in another world. Praying for ya.. Please give MaryBeth a big hug for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kind of meant that "home" is now where God has put you....but, I agree, it is very sad to leave family, friends and those we are close to...that is the sacrifice...everthing else is an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lady,
    Tiana told me that she had heard from you and told me the whole story. weren't you just saying to that gal- the one from your church who is the missionary that if you missed your flight you would ask the couple to come get you, but heh it won't happen? I am so glad that you got there and are safe, fed, showered (yah that is a good one :)) and slept up. When do you start working? KT:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa--that's crazy! I know the feeling, though. Good approach: kindness. It does go a LONG way, huh? Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete