More About...

Tuesday 2 November 2010

a few days in Kandern

Arriving in the Basel Euroairport this past Thursday, it felt like coming home. Maybe because of all the travel I have done in and out of that airport... :-) 

My friend Brad also flew back from the United States via Frankfurt on Thursday so we came into Basel on the same flight. And as we exited the airport and found Karin who graciously came to the airport to retrieve us, I found myself feeling so grateful for the friends I have found in Kandern. God is good.

I arrived in time to attend a goodbye party for the Miller's dear people who have been in Germany since 1989 and are now returning to Colorado. They have been an integral part of my time in Germany.

At the goodbye party I looked across the room and took it all in... It is amazing how God creates family (the joys and the pains) within a group like this. Most everyone in that room has left their country of origin to follow God's call on their life. Being outside your country of origin creates a bond with others who have done the same. These have become my family over the past 5 years.

Across the room were my dear friends John and Shelly Gilmore. They were sitting with some other dear friends of mine and I was struck with a collision of worlds and how precious it is to me that I know my "family" here in Germany will take these dear friends into the family too.

Sunday, I went to church and saw several people I love and hold dear to my heart. And that night I got to join in with a small group of friends for an evening of good conversation, laughter, and nourishment. I feel so blessed!

Throughout the days in Kandern, I was looking for my real winter clothes. winter coats make great padding for breakable items in boxes... so I had to find those boxes and then I found my winter coats... and sweaters and trousers.  But not my winter shoes... hmmm..

Autumn in Kandern. The tree I used to see out my bedroom window
And then Tuesday morning I got on a plane to Estonia. It was a short time in Kandern. Full of precious moments, and the acknowledgment that saying goodbye in the end of November when I move my things to Rome, Italy... will be hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment